Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Eighteen Then One

Hello everyone,

Life goes on in Twin Oaks Valley. And we have seen blessings.

So the title... "Eighteen then one". As you might know, we haven't been teaching a ton of lessons. We find several potentials every week, but they fall through. In fact, Elder Wilde counted and we had 18 lessons with potential investigators fall through IN A ROW. In 3 weeks, we had 18 lessons fall through with potentials and NO lessons. Zero. 

Because of this, I didn't have a lot of faith going into this transfer. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed I wasn't transferred. I love the ward, but the lack of success has really worn me out.

But Heavenly Father kept me here for a reason. So on Tuesday, we headed to a potential lesson with Alex and his girlfriend. On the way, our fellowshipper said he couldn't come and I scrambled to find someone else to come to this lesson with us. I lowered my head to say a prayer and before I even began to pray the name of Brother Birch popped into my head. I thought, "Wow. That was fast." We called him up and he picked us up.

We knocked on the door and Alex invited us in. We met his girlfriend, Janita. They are both from Uganda and are looking for the right church for them.

Let me back up real quick and explain how we met Alex. We found some former investigators in our area book and went to knock on the door. Alex came to the door and confirmed he wasn't who we were looking for. I began to explain who we were and asked if we could come share a message with him. He said we could come back Friday, but a voice from behind him said, "No, I won't be there! Do Thursday!" That appointment cancelled, rescheduled for Sunday, cancelled, and rescheduled for Tuesday. 

I want all of you to know that Heavenly Father is aware of you. He wants to bless you. Also, He answers your prayers. He always does. We just need to be patient for His answer.

As we began to teach Alex and Janita, we found out ALEX IS A MEMBER! He has been inactive for a long time and Janita didn't even know. We taught Janita the restoration. The Spirit was so sweet. We gave her a Book of Mormon. She said she would read it. I then asked her to hand it to me so I could bookmark a page and, to my surprise, she had already folded down the page for first Nephi. She said she would read and pray to know if it is true. We are teaching them again tomorrow.

Now ask yourself. Is it by chance that a man who has been an inactive member for over 7 years and his nonmember girlfriend have 2 young missionaries knock on their apartment door looking for someone who had once investigated the church in the same apartment? Heavenly Father knew. He is constantly setting appointments for us. We just need to be willing and ready to teach.

I am so humbled by the lesson I have been able to learn this week. Every 'no' we receive is one step closer to the 'yes' we are waiting for. Sometimes they come faster than 18. Sometimes longer. I know that as we keep working, exercising faith, keep the commandments, and be the best missionaries we can be, we will find those Heavenly Father is preparing AND begin to prepare those who will be taught and ready for those that will follow us.

Other than that lesson, it was a very slow week. Elder Wilde and I are the only companionship in the zone that was together last transfer. Everyone else is with a new companion. I guess we have an advantage there. We are excited for this next transfer and can't wait to see great things happen.

I love you all and I know that as we have faith in Jesus Christ and use His atonement in our lives, we will find joy. This gospel is the most important thing we could ever have. Without it we have nothing. Yes, there are jobs, schooling, work at home, family, and all other things that occupy our schedules. Don't ever let your schedule be too busy for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I mean, Jesus made time to suffer for you. 

Love you and I hope to have more to talk about next week! Have a great week!

Elder Kapp


 A lady in Erik's stake sent these pictures: "Just happened into the Family History Library while your sons and daughters were writing - greatest missionaries! Escondido loves them!"



No comments:

Post a Comment