Monday, February 22, 2016

"There's a turtle in the road..." - TRANSFERS

ELDER KAPP.......... IS GOING...... TO.................
be staying in Twin Oaks Valley for 6 more weeks with Elder Wilde. 

However, Elder Richards, our zone leader, is getting transferred to Oceanside. Elder Richards has been like an older brother to me and he is my favorite Canadian. Best of luck to him.

This last week was really slow. However, a few fun things happened.

On Friday we fasted. We haven't picked up any new investigators and the work has been crazy slow. So we fasted to find some new people. We found 2 new potentials. Elizabeth was getting her mail with her son and we set up a lesson to teach her Saturday, but she wasn't there. (AHHHHH!) We met Alex while going to a former investigator's house we found in the area book. We knocked on the door and Alex answered. I guess the former moved. So we took advantage of the situation and asked if he would be willing to hear our message. He said yes! He wanted to reschedule for a Saturday, but a girl's voice from the other room says, "Hey! I won't be there! Do Sunday!" But, he cancelled.... So we should teach him Tuesday.

Friday we had dinner with the Brittains. Brad Brittain was a lineman for Arizona State University and is a big guy. He has been less active his whole adult life, but his dad always moved Brad's records wherever he went. Now his dad is really sick and terminal. His last wish is Brad will go back to church, so he has come to some activities and church a few times. His wife and step son aren't members. They are really funny. They don't always understand the missionary rules. Like they invite us to play poker, turn on movies for us (Disney), and stuff. 

Well they were still cooking dinner when we showed up. They live by the old country club in San Marcos, so a lot of people have golf carts... Brad came in and asked if Elder Wilde and I would drive the cart to 7/11 to get some olive oil really fast... so we did. It was funny. It was cool to meet with them. His wife was going to come to church because Sister Prather is leaving, but they ended up not... We will keep working on it!

Here is the story that explains the picture and title...

Saturday we got transfer calls and I was a bit disappointed. I love TOV, but the lack of success has really taken its toll on me. My attitude has been much better, but I really just hit a low on Saturday. I was in a bad mood as we were going to houses and getting a bit rejected. I had my head down and out of the corner of my eye looked across the road and saw something large moving. I started crossing and Elder Wilde says, "Where are you going?"
"There's a turtle in the road...." 
Sure enough, there is a 50 pound tortoise walking in the road!!! Nobody was around. Just 2 missionaries and a tortoise... As we kept it from getting ran over, some neighbors came over, we figured out where it belonged (It escaped a backyard where it had just been dropped off as a pet). But yeah. We rescued a tortoise. 
Then 10 minutes later we helped get a chihuahua out of an intersection. It was crazy.  We called it "Safari Saturday".

Sunday was Stake Conference. It was really good. President and Sister Kendrick spoke. We had dinner with the Grochmals. They are the coolest. He played semi pro hockey before his mission  and is the Elder's Quorum president. That night we saw Benny. He is less active and wants us to come teach him. He is cleaning up his life. 

Today is our last Pday as a zone. We are taking on the Escondido Zone in some games, so that'll be cool.

I know that this work is hard. REALLY HARD. I am not a patient person. I am being forced to be though. I joke and say, "I wish Heavenly Father would just hurry up and teach me to be patient already." But I love being a missionary. This is not my work, but His. The next transfer may be hard, but I know Heavenly Father is keeping me here for a reason. We will turn this ward around!

Love you guys!

Elder Kapp

                                                               My Birthday

              Emerald Heights, San Marcos. (You can see the ocean, but the sun ruined the picture.)


The less active family we had dinner with needed us to go to 7/11 for olive oil real quick,
so they had us take the golf cart.

                                      We rescued a tortoise that was walking in the road.


                                                                    Typical day in TOV.




No comments:

Post a Comment