Monday, February 1, 2016

"I'm going to cook up this chicken for kids in Mexico"

Yup. Weird title for an email, right?

This last week has been very up and down, but ended on an 'up'. 

Monday was a tough day for me. I was feeling really homesick and was not in a good mood. My companion and I hadn't been getting along the best and it had added a lot of stress and pressure. By Monday, it had added up quite a bit. However, I was able to calm down and feel better before we went out to work. 

Alright, so here is the story from the title. Our investigator is Kevin. He is an interesting guy... He is a 22 year old Mexican kid who has a 3 year old daughter that doesn't live with him. Monday night, we were on our way to Kevin's house after dinner and we saw this guy pushing a shopping cart and we thought, "Let's go talk to him." Guess who? It was Kevin and he had a shopping cart full of over 100 pounds of raw, frozen chicken. We asked him if we could help him push it home. So there we are. 2 missionaries and a Mexican kid. Pushing a shopping cart full of bags of chicken. Mom, you would have been so proud. So we are pushing this, and it wasn't until like 10 minutes that I asked:
"Kevin, what the heck are you doing with a hundred pounds of chicken?!"
"My friend in Mexico gave me a crazy good deal. I'm going to cook it up and give it to kids in Mexico who juggle for money and food."
Elder Wilde then volunteered us to help him cook this chicken the next day. He accepts and we FINALLY got to his house. (We pushed it for a long time and it was uphill!)

Tuesday, we had district meeting and when we showed up to help Kevin cook his chicken, he wasn't there. I really wasn't too disappointed because it was all just a sketchy situation, but it would have been a heck of a story to tell my kids about.
Later that night, we taught our potential investigator, Kevin. (We are only allowed to teach people named Kevin... Just kidding...) He was super receptive. He was raised Catholic, but never chose it for himself. He accepted a Book of Mormon and said he would pray if it was true and if he should be baptized. However, he is in his 20's so we passed him off to YSA. They taught him later that week and it went really well!

That night our next door neighbor, who we thought might have died, stopped us on our way to our apartment. She said she had a seizure and she asked if we could teach her how to pray again. NOTE: She HATED us when we first moved in. Like, makes her son come inside if we were walking by. Now we might teach her... MIRACLES HAPPEN!

Wednesday, we went on exchanges. I went to Discovery Hills ward. Elder Waite took me to the 'crime filled' road in San Marcos... I'm so grateful I live in Utah. That place was SCARY. The exchange went well.

We got our haircut on Thursday by a nonmember wife. Her husband is less active. It went really well! Maybe we will teach her when she is ready.
That night we went to Killer Pizza From Mars for dinner. The name and pizza was awesome!

On my exchange, I asked Elder Waite what I could do to be a better missionary. He told me I needed to focus more on charity and love towards my companion. I have been doing that and it has made a big difference. I don't agree with Elder Wilde a lot. But I have decided to be more humble and love the kid. I have been happier. I need to get back to the happy me I was before my mission. We are working on that this week. We will see how that goes.

Love you all! Thanks for the support!

Elder Kapp


                                            This is the kind of truck Mormon families need


No comments:

Post a Comment